Social Security can be so confusing!

Q: I will be 70 next September and will start taking my Social Security at that time. My wife, who will reach full retirement age for Social Security in March has been receiving Social Security Disability payments for years. Do we need to do anything to have her Social Security payments go up to her full payment in March so she can receive the higher spousal benefit?
A: From what I have experienced, the Social Security payment will automatically increase without you having to notify the Social Security Administration. If you do not receive any increase, make an appointment with the Social Security office in your area to address any changes that need to be made to get the higher benefit.


Comments are closed.